cPanel does include a quick Drupal install option called Fantastico, however it installs an imperfect version of Drupal and can create problems later, particularly with the Views modules. We therefore recommend not using Fantastico.
If you have a hosting account with cPanel and wish to install Drupal, we instead recommend following the process below:
Login to cPanel
- With most hosts, go to www.example.com/cpanel and this will forward you to the cPanel login page. Enter your username and password.
Installing Drupal on an Addon Domain
If you wish to install Drupal on an Addon domain (a separate domain to your main one), follow these extra steps:
- Click Addon Domains
- Enter the Addon domain name, e.g. example.com
- This will automatically create a new folder e.g. public_html/example.com
- You may also need to change the DNS settings of the new domain name to point to the same ones as your main domain.
Create the Database
- In cPanel Go to MySQL® Database Wizard
- Create a new database, choose a username and database name similar to the website you’re creating. Select ALL Privileges and make a note of the username and password.
Download the latest version of Drupal
- Visit http://drupal.org/project/drupal and download the latest version of Drupal 6 or Drupal 7.
- Go to File Manager, navigate to the new folder that’s been created, click ‘Upload’ and upload the zipped version of Drupal.
Unzip and move the new folder
After it’s uploaded, go back to File Manager, find the zipped version of Drupal and click ‘Extract’.
This will then unzip Drupal in a new folder, called e.g. Drupal-6.22 or Drupal-7.8.
Open the folder, select every item (Press Ctrl + A) and drag all the files to the public_html/example.com folder.
You may also wish to delete the drupal-6.22.tar.gz file and the drupal-6.22 folder (which should now be empty) as you don't need them.
Copy the default.settings.php file to settings.php
Go to the sites/default folder and right click on default.settings.php. Select Copy and rename this settings.php.
How to Install Drupal on your website
The final stage of this how to guide is the actual Drupal installation on your site. Visit the home page of your website (www.example.com) then you should now see the following screen:
Choose Install Drupal in English, enter the details of the database you made a note of earlier, press 'Save and Continue' and you're there!
After installing Drupal in cPanel, we also recommend you also read our Drupal Tutorial for recommended modules to install and other configuration options.